Sunday, March 3, 2013

How I ‘Mastered’ Academic Writing


I feel that I never mastered high school. I wasn’t a very serious student back then and I barely passed.  Maybe one of the main reasons was because we didn’t do the types of writing in my high school that I have had to do throughout my college career. I may have written personal narratives along the way, but I don’t remember writing expository, argumentative or research-based essays in high school.

As an older returning student in city college it was my passion that helped me. I was excited about being an Asian studies major and wanted to learn all I could about Asia. Writing was easy for me because I wrote mostly from the heart.  I remember being a very expressivist writer in my initial papers at city college and it was surprisingly getting me through. Then I hit a little snag when I got a paper back from my Asian American history professor. I had gotten a B rather than an A this time. I went to my professor’s office hours to see what I need to do to turn my paper around. That is when I got introduced to thesis statements. It was a struggle grappling at first with the idea that I had to have a thesis in my paper to prove my arguments. I clearly remember writing my first thesis and what a challenge it was, but then once I figured it out it was like someone had given me the golden ticket. This sparked my passion for writing even more. Then I had to take English 101 and I realized that there was more to college writing than just thesis, I discovered that writing essays was a whole process. I missed the mark on a few of my first writing assignments, but through trial and error I became a better writer. I will always remember my English 101 professors end comments on one of my A papers. She said, “Your argument is strong and well supported through evidence and analysis.  I have no comments for you on this paper.” I was so happy at that moment and that returned essay felt like a trophy to me.

I feel that I continued to grow as a writer after transferring to university. I remember misunderstanding one of my professor’s instructions for one of the first papers I wrote at that level. I freaked out because I had to rewrite the entire paper. I realized the importance of understanding the prompt and asking questions when I was not clear about something. I also had issues with not enough reflection and redundancy in my papers at times. I would have to say that office hours have always been a benefit to me as a writer. Those initial instincts of going to the professor and asking how I can do better have always helped me improve as a writer. My professors were always open to me during office hours and would give me constructive criticism that really helped me write better papers. I noticed that I wouldn’t do so well when I got too confident and rested on my laurels. I remember taking a graduate seminar and going to office hours due to a poorly written paper and my professor saying, “Michael this is not your best work.” It was then I knew that to do well I had to revise and edit my papers carefully before I turned them in. I went on to work in my universities writing center because I thought it would be good experience and I knew I wanted to go on to get my master’s in teaching English to speakers of other languages. I think teaching other students about the process of writing has continued to help me improve as a writer. Currently, I work as a reading, writing and study skills tutor at the Learning Assistance Center and it continues to help me in that regard.

Writing as a graduate student was also a bit of a challenge for me at first. One of the difficulties I faced was all of the new vocabulary and metalanguage of my department.  I also found it a uncomforable when I learned that I had to write papers in APA for TESOL. This was a format I was unfamiliar with, but I feel my previous writing experience and guidance from my professors has helped me adjust to just about any writing situation. However, I would have to say that at the graduate level I haven’t received as much of a hand hold in office hours as I did in my undergrad, but I guess that is to be expected since we are graduate students after all. This just makes me thankful that I did have professors that would give me constructive criticism about my writing and answer my questions throughout my early academic career.       

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What I an awesome journey you have been on. I feel like your experience of learning through trail and error will benefit you in tutoring sessions because you can understand what it is like to acquire academic language. I agree with you that college classrooms can be intimidating when you are in the progress of acquiring the vocabuary and discourse rules that are need to be successful in discussions or on written assignments. I couldn't stop wondering while reading your post, "How much more difficult must it be if you are an ESL student to try to navigate through all the rules and conventions?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Kyle. It's surprising to me how much my experience in academia has fostered my tutoring. And I also try to put myself in the shoes of my ESL students. Many people don't often realize it, but ESL students are doing something pretty courageous by attending university and writing papers in a country different from their own. I try to let them know they are doing a pretty amazing thing and should be proud of themselves.

    ReplyDelete