Sunday, February 17, 2013

Student Backgrounds


You'll meet your tutees soon. What questions will you ask your tutee to get at his/her linguistic and educational background and find out factors that have affected his/her language and literacy development? You won't be able "Are you Generation 1.5?" or "Are you an ear learner?" So you'll need some other strategies for getting at students' language/literacy backgrounds.

In my experience tutoring at my undergraduate tutoring center and at the Learning Assistance Center here at SF State I have found it is best to establish rapport with my tutees right from the start. I like to begin by asking simple questions like what is your major or what do you do for fun?  I find that once a student feels comfortable with me they will reveal more information about themselves. I also like to ask my tutees for writing samples. I try to get them to bring an extra copy of what they are working on that I can keep. This enables me to take a closer look at what writing issues the student may be having and also may help me identify their language/literacy background.  Here are some possible questions I might ask my tutee to figure out his/her linguistic and educational background:

• Did you go to high school here in the bay area? Are you a transfer student?

• Do you like to read? What types of things do you like to read outside of school?

• Did you have to take any placement tests like the CMSPT or TOEFL?

• What writing classes have you taken so far?

• Do you speak any foreign languages? What languages do you speak now at work, school, home?

• What are your tutoring and writing goals?

• What are your learning styles? How do you like to study?   

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Michael, as a new tutor I appreciate your specific list of questions you ask new tutees. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kateb, thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Questions! I would have never thought to ask about placement exams, but I love that you did. I think that a lot of information can be obtained from this question. The question that I liked the most, however, is: "What are your tutoring and writing goals?" I think that this questions is super important and super illuminating because it tell you so much a student has thought about their writing, how invested they are in tutoring, an even give you information about their understanding of tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think certain questions can also aid me in tutoring. A question like, "What are your tutoring and writing goals?" can help me try and meet the tutees wants and needs as well as give us something to work towards together. I really like working one on one with students so I probably sound like a tutoring geek!

    ReplyDelete